Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1 Up!

Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or a crochet hook this time last year?

By Aurora C. Jones

I started knitting about over a year ago, but I didn't knit very often at all. I am 11 years old now.

I started to knit again after my mom, Jessica, joined the Fiber Guild which was last February. I still didn't knit very much, but I made a neck warmer which I ended up liking but was bummed that it had some holes in it and gained stitches along the way so it wasn't as good as I was expecting. I couldn't hold my needles right at all - I don't remember how I held them, but it made me slower to knit. Now I do much better and right now I'm knitting a wall decoration for my room with very tiny yarn and needles. It looks really cute! ♥


With the neck warmer Mama said I could just go with the mistakes and make it look more like I meant to make them.

After the neck warmer, I made a skinny silver scarf. At the beginning of that project, I still didn't know how to hold the needles right, but then mama taught me how. I also made to sure to get mama to fix when I accidentally made holes and skipped stitches or added stitches.

Then I was knitting a scarf that was turning out really good, then some how kind of bent to the other way and then I started to knit a little messy then I got better again! I've decided to use it as a waist band for a skirt which I am going to sew.

About the wall decoration, my needles are really small and so is the ♥ yarn (its like thread) and its rainbow colored but very light and it makes stripes. I'm also going to put lace at the bottom of it. I also knitted a head band for myself from the same yarn but then turned out mama told me that the yarn for my head band was going to stretch and was going to be too big for me even though i had already took it off the knitting needles.


I ended up giving it to my cousin Brittany and she loved it!

Genevieve, my sister, recently showed me how to knit cables so I have been practicing that and I have been getting pretty mad about it because I kept messing up and I would keep taking out my knitting and starting over again for like 50 times! (not really 50 times, but a lot!) I finally am doing pretty good at my cables and I can actually see the cable twist.



I am a lot better at knitting now than a year ago, and I think I will get better at knitting as I practice.

(to find other blogs participating in the 2nd Annual Knitting & Crochet Blog Week and writing on this topic today, enter " 2KCBWDAY2 " - without the quotation marks, into your search engine and browse the results.)

No comments: