Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tidy Stitches...Check! (Tidy Mind...maybe not so much?)

How do you keep your yarn wrangling organized? Maybe you are not organized at all, in which case I personally dare you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. If you are organized, blog about an aspect of that organization process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organized stash, or your project and stash pages on Ravelry.
By Jessica M. Jones aka Flying Spindle

So, ya wanna know how I organize my yarn/knitting accoutrements/spinning fluff/all of the above? The only way I know how: A little order and a little chaos mixed together!

I often dream of all the ways I'd like to have all my creative ingredients organized - well, usually I just think of this after wandering around a gorgeous yarn store where everything has a cubby and is grouped by fiber and color...but in all honesty, that's really too perfect for my taste! My real goal in relation to knitting and spinning is to have next to no stash - just piles of gorgeous, homemade things; and I've found that when I let too much excess yarn/wool into my house, my actual creative energy kinda gets smothered.


But you know, a fiber freak like me can't be ruled by reason and I have to admit that I do own a slight bit of a stash: cones of cotton leftover from my recent dabble-ment with weaving, and the wool of 4 white sheep's fleeces (purchased last spring to fuel my love of spinning) makes up a pretty space-consuming collection! I have my cones displayed on the built-in shelf in my living room (my own mini yarn library)(see, I secretly DO want to be surrounded with the stuff!) Whereas the wool is shamefully shoved into the top of my bedroom closet...nagging at me for not having used it ALL UP by NOW!!! And then wool envy comes into the picture when all my friends are spinning up gorgeous colors and all I've got is -white-

Learn to dye already, Jess...Bust that stash!

To ease the pain of my wool hoarding guilt, I recently put together my very own knitting corner. It makes me feel cozy and creative, and it has actual places to keep my projects. So much nicer than how I used to do it, which was to keep a project tucked on a shelf that didn't have room for it, or out in the open where a friend's baby could grab and unravel my undies I'd been working on for a month! (tune in for tomorrow's blog post for a peek at those undies...)


This corner is composed of 2 comfy chairs I recently picked up at the thrift shop (a project in their own right - awaiting a re-upholstering).


Between the chairs is a 2-tiered end table on which rests my wooden yarn bowl (a souvenir from our time in Germany, when my daughter, Aurora, was so little she fit in the thing!), with space below for a work-in-progress; currently a braided rug for the girls' room.



Off the window above hangs my needle basket (another souvenir from our scant year in Portland, Oregon) which is flanked with some of my photography and a drawing from a friend. Another small table holds a task lamp.




I think the award for most organized in my house goes to my collection of project bags! Last year, I finally got smart and stopped disrespecting my knitting by making these bags - now it's SO easy to have a bunch of projects going; all ready for whatever mood may strike me...do I wanna work on my blue toe-up socks? They're in the purple and green bag! Or my hand-spun cardigan? That one lives in the "Moroccan Pocket" bag! All of them hang conveniently in the knitting corner and I love them!

I guess I'm a little more together than I realized - Too bad I didn't figure all this out years ago. (I was always the mom who forgot the diaper and extra blankie) But then that's what life is for...if things weren't ever a little outta control, would I appreciate the order as much? I don't think so :)

(To see other blogs participating in this 2nd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blogging Week and posting on this same topic today, just enter " 2KCBWDAY3 " without the quotation marks into your search engine, and enjoy browsing the results.)

No comments: