Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wash Day

Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft? - alone or in more social environments?, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys? What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette's baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords? Do you always have snacks at hand or are you strictly a 'no crumbs near my yarn!" kind of knitter?
by Anne Ball

It's always time to knit. At least I think it's always time to knit. I think about knitting a lot. I think about it while I drive. I think about it while I'm doing dishes. I think about it when I should be concentrating on something else. I think about it when I crochet, or cross-stitch, or work on other crafts. But actually sitting down and knitting? That happens less frequently.

Recent finished project
Ringwood Gloves from Knitty.com
Certainly I knit most every Monday night at my knitting group. Well, that is unless the conversation is too good or I'm too tired or I feel the need to check out the magazines and books. (We meet at a local Barnes and Noble cafe. If you're in Charleston, SC - West of the Ashley to be exact - come join us from 7-ish to 9-ish.) I have to bring a project that doesn't require too much attention but it's a good way to get a project done or get some help from the other knitters.

On the needles
Nuthatch Gloves from Colorwork Creations
by Susan Anderson-Freed
There are times I knit under duress. You know, the holidays are coming. A birthday. Or my husband is getting deployed someplace cold and needs a warm sweater. At these times I knit anywhere I can. While dinner is cooking on the stove, for a few minutes in the waiting room of a doctor's office, in the car at a stop light. OK, I haven't knit at a stop light yet but I do think about it.

The knitting chair with cup of tea
But my favorite place to knit is my laundry room. I knit while the washer is swishing back and forth, the clothes in the dryer are lifted up and around and then fall with a soft thump. I sit in the old office swivel chair and keep a cup of tea, or sometimes even a pot of tea, at my side. When the dryer beeps to say its done, I give my knitting muscles a rest and fold or hang up the warm clothes. When the washer finishes I walk the four or so feet to the laundry basket and put in another load. Knitting and doing laundry takes on a low, slow rhythm. I get two things done at a luxurious pace. I get breaks from doing too much of either. My hands get worked in different ways. The sounds of the washer and drier with the clicking of the needles relaxes me. It is my favorite time of the week.

Self portrait of blogger with dryer

To see other blogs participating in the 2nd Annual Knitting & Crochet Blogging Week and also posting on this same topic today, enter " 2KCBWDAY7 " without the quotation marks into your search engine and browse the results.

Thanks to Amy Heins, Aurora Jones, Jess Jones, Michaela McIntosh, Anne Ball, and Pablo Neruda for stepping up to the writing challenge, for sharing your knitting experiences, and for making this a most interesting week for the  Palmetto Fiber Arts Guild's blog readers!

No comments: