Sunday, May 12, 2013

Hey Everyone, this is Marlene. . .

Marlene Gruetter is here to introduce herself to those of us who haven't met her yet. Though she lives in Ohio, she is back and forth to a second home in The Lowcountry, and as a "mad felter" has connected with our Guild and the new felting group. Welcome Marlene and thanks for letting us get you know you a bit more!


Marlene
"As a new member, I would like to introduce myself to the guild.  My name is Marlene Gruetter and I currently reside on an 86 acre farm in Scottown, OH along with my husband Carl and a clan of dogs, cats, chickens, horses, pigs, goats and sheep.   Up until last year we raised and bred the Angora goats, Wensleydale sheep and llamas.  But due to health issues we downsized our herd and now only have a few of the “old guys and dolls” hanging out.  

Through the love of my fiber animals I was introduced to various fiber media, and when I was led into feltmaking, it became my obsession and primary media of choice.  A few years ago Carl built me a small studio next to our cabin. This increased “space” allowed me to experiment, develop and create complex projects which eventually led me to artistically develop a unique felting style which I call Shambolic™ Felt.  

This style involves the combination of wool/silk (nuno felting to those familiar to the term, but there are distinct differences between the classic nuno and Shambolic™ Felt.  My work includes ripped up recycled silk garments and the incorporation of all the elements which the garment offers (sequins, serger hem, labels, etc). My focus is primarily on wearables – full lengths coats, jackets, vests, dresses, scarves and handbags. 
In addition to creating felt, I enjoy teaching feltmaking (beginner to advanced) both locally and nationally, conducting presentations to fiber groups and writing articles for fiber magazines.  My website is www.shambolicfelt.com and I hope you will visit the site to see some of my creations.

My connection with Charleston SC? -- A few years ago Carl and I visited the Charleston area as a quick first visit on the way home from a family visit in Florida and we fell in love with the area. When we returned home we talked occasionally of how Charleston would be a great place to retire.  So, this past year we trekked down (a few times) and with the assistance of a wonderful realtor we purchased a beautiful two bedroom condo at Pelican Pointe near Folly Beach in May 2012. 

And how I found the fiber guild? -- During one of our visits to the condo I forgot to bring wool with me.  I decided to search the internet for area stores which might carry merino roving.  As I was searching I ran across the guild and thought some guild member could help direct me to a retail store.  I contacted Lynn (Holland) and left a message asking about where to buy wool and she responded with some possible sources. Through our conversation she invited me to attend a future meeting.  I was thrilled and became a member immediately.  Currently, I can only visit “every now and then” but when the visits are in sync with guild meetings I definitely will be attending.  If there are ways which I can help with the guild from a distance, I am eager to do so. 

Please feel free to email me anytime.  My address is marlene@senistudio.com .

I do hope I get to meet everyone in the future and it is a pleasure to be part of this guild.
scarf and handbag

No comments: